Award in First Aid for Mental Health
9.30 – 17.00
From £590.00 per course
Student Max 12
About the Course
This 6-hour qualification provides learners with the knowledge to recognise a range of mental health conditions, how to start a supportive conversation and when and how to signpost a person to seek appropriate professional help. Learners will know how to recognise and manage stress and understand the impact of substance abuse. They will learn about the first aid action plan for mental health, be able to put it in place and know how to implement a positive mental health culture in the workplace.
Learners will not diagnose or treat mental health conditions as this can only be carried out by healthcare professionals but will gain the knowledge to identify when a person may have a condition and know where they can go to get help.
Successful learners completing this qualification will become a ‘First Aider for Mental Health’ and be able to utilise the skills and knowledge gained within their workplace and private life.
Those wishing to be a ‘First Aider for Mental Health’ for young people should look to undertake the ‘ELST Award in First Aid for Youth Mental Health’.
Qualification for the Award in Supervising First Aid for Mental Health Course is achieved through a written assessment and is a nationally recognised qualification.
- Award in First Aid for Mental Health
(Level 2 RQF/Level 5 SCQF)
- Know what mental health is, why people develop mental health conditions and the role of a First Aider for mental health
- Know how to provide advice and practical support for a person presenting a suspected mental health condition
- Know how to recognise and manage stress
- Know how to recognise a range of mental health conditions
- Understand the impact of substance abuse on mental health
- Understand the first aid action plan for mental health and be able to put it in place
- Know how to implement a positive mental health culture in the workplace
- Eating disorders
Courses at your venue
In order to arrange an Award in First Aid for Mental Health course group booking at your site, a minimum requirement of six candidates will be required. The training can be delivered at your venue anywhere in the UK. Please contact us for a quote.
We can deliver our Award in First Aid for Mental Health Course at your venue!
We offer 7 days a week training
Each year approximately 1 in 4 people in the UK will experience a mental health condition and at least 1 in 6 employees experience common mental health problems in the workplace. Research has shown that work is the biggest cause of stress which can stop people from performing at their best.
Mental health conditions are often hidden due to stigma and fear of discrimination and research has shown that a culture of fear and silence around mental health is costly to employers.